February 18, 2008

English Countryside









This weekend I had the pleasure of helping Waty (my ex-housemate) and her now husband Dominic, in celebrating their marriage. Located in the countryside a few hours north of London, it was a beautiful day. The reception at Horwood House was classically English, remnant of the many Jane Austen movies I have watched over the years. With the glorious sun that shone brightly all weekend, came the fresh crisp English air that even sent chills through the locals.

I took advantage of the opportunity for a weekend mini-break in the countryside and hired a car. On Saturday night I stayed at a local pub near the reception. It was approximately minus five degrees overnight. My car, and the drink bottle I left in it, was suitably frozen by Sunday morning. It was minus two degrees when I drove off in the morning after eating a hearty full English breakfast.

It was my first drive in six months, so it was good to be back on the open road. With a helpful road map by my side, I weaved on the minor roads through the little villages, heading east. I stopped at Bishops Stortford for a quick hot chocolate with Sarah before taking the highway to the coast.

Back within the London M25 orbital, it was a little more problematic with reading the road map. By chance I ended up taking the Woolwich Ferry (on the east side of London) across the Thames. It was timed perfectly with the colourful sunset. My journey continued as I headed south west to drop the car off and go home. It was great to drive in the country, but I’m glad I don’t have to tackle the London traffic every day. Another superb weekend!


No comments: