July 14, 2009

On the road again... part one

I have been on the road again… this time for a month long holiday in the European summer sun. It is simply not possible to do justice to the places I travelled to on this blog… but I’ll do my best to give you just a mere taste of the journey & wonders we encountered. Our trip covered six countries including Italy, Vatican City, Greece, Turkey, Egypt and Germany.

Our journey started in Italy, a country that I was particularly looking forward to exploring. My expectations were exceeded. Venice was lovely. We stayed in a B&B on one of the 118 islands in Venice. Despite the fact the town is flat we surprisingly had to climb plenty of stairs as we crossed the 400 odd bridges that linked the islands. Below are photos of Venice, including the Rialto Bridge and the Piazza San Marco (with St Mark’s Basilica & bell tower in the distance).








From Venice we flew to the busy (& crazy town) of Naples. We checked out some of the local castles, admired Mt Vesuvius from afar, tasted the local traditional delicacy (aka pizza!) and wandered around the ruined Roman town of Pompeii.














No comments: