January 12, 2010

Beat the winter blues...

Over the past month we have had cool weather, patchy dumps of snow and plenty of ice in London. I took my chances last weekend for some winter solace despite the potential of flight cancellations and airport closures. I headed to Faro on the southern tip of Portugal. Faro is the gateway of the Algarve coast, a beautiful section of coast with fantastic beaches that are primarily enjoyed by the Brits and Northern Europeans.

On a glorious cool, yet sunny Saturday, I jumped onto a boat trip through the Rio Formosa, a natural reserve that stretches along the coastline along the tip of Portugal. The highlight was spending the afternoon on Ilha Deserta, a huge uninhabitated sandy island. This island is the southernmost point of Continental Portugal and is great for shell picking. I basked in the sun for a little while as well... ahhh warmth!


I finished off the weekend break by investigating the old town. The pics below include a typical Portugese old town street, Faro Cathedral and a tempting Valencia orange tree.

No comments: