November 2, 2010

It's just not a trip to Austria without a schnitzel!

Farwelling my new friends in Budapest, I departed on the short 3 hour train journey across the border to Austria. My destination was the capital city, Vienna. I chose a hostel that was slightly off the tourist trail & it was well worth the effort. Situated in the hills of Vienna, this Eco-labelled hostel offered something that no other hostel could offer - a sensational panoramic view over Vienna. The photo below left gives a small glimpse of the view and the surrounding nature park at dusk.

VIenna is an easy city to navigate around and even though I don't speak any German, I felt quite at home in this city. Below are a few photos around Vienna...
  • View of the Lower Belvedere Palace & the Baroque gardens, built in the 17th century.
  • St Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom), built in the 12th century has colourful glazed tiles for the roofing.

  • Rathaus, the City Hall built in a Gothic revivial style.

  • Memorial fountain, located in the business district of town.

On a final note, in response to the title of this blog, I'm pleased to say that had 2!

No comments: