February 18, 2009

Hidden treasures

There is no doubt that I have the travel bug... and I have been thoroughly enjoying the various travel opportunities I have had while I have been living in the UK. With my visions often set on mainland Europe, it can be quite easy to miss some of the local treasures. London is a great city. I recognise that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but there are definitely some hidden treasures about the place. Over the past couple of weekends, I’ve been exploring some of London by foot. Here are just a few photos of what London has to offer, in particular within the south-west area:

For bridge enthusiasts, the Thames Path is the place for you. I passed about 8 bridges on my stroll from Putney Bridge to Battersea.









While in Australia we may call it a "park" or "reserve", the British tend to use the word "common". On my weekend walk to Richmond, I wandered through both Wimbledon Common & Richmond Park - both peaceful break aways from the otherwise bleak urban outlook.

Wimbledon Common
(including a pond with ice still slowly melting & the windmill)










Richmond Park

(including the Thames River, the local deer grazing on the hillside and Pen Pond)







No comments: