April 8, 2010

Hit the road Jack

Over the Easter long weekend I explored a little more of the beautiful Emerald Isle. It was great to be behind the wheel again, singing to the long weekend driving tracks on the radio and exploring the countryside. My destination was the Dingle peninsula on the south-west coast. The majority of the weekend involved driving, turning down random un-marked roads and discovering some of the locals secrets.

Based on a recommendation I did don my hiking boots for a leisurely 14km walk from Kate Kearney's cottage to the Gap of Dunloe and the Hidden Valley (photo to the right). Being prepared was the name of the game and I was thankful for my wet weather gear once the skies opened on my return journey. I did contemplate climbing Purple Mountain (which is actually purple!) but the fact that I couldn't see it, I didn't think there was much point.

On Easter Sunday, I joined the locals for a church service in the Dingle's Cathedral. It was overflowing with people & with seating for an estimated 600 people, I figure that most of the local folk were there. After a drive to a local 3 mile beach which is perfect for kite-surfering enthusiasts, I headed to one of the many pubs in Dingle for a cosy afternoon by the fire. I wasn't reading for long before conversation with the locals was flowing - the Irish are a friendly & funny bunch! It was a great relaxing weekend.

Here are some photos of the Emerald Isle: View of Brandon Mountain (952m high) from Conors Pass (a road not to be taken by those scared of cliffs, on-coming traffic & narrow roads!); Ross Castle in Killarney National Park; typical houses in Dingle; the coastline from Slea's Head; and the Gap of Dunloe.

No comments: