April 24, 2010

The show must go on - Galway Bay

I had planned to see a little more of Ireland with Michelle & Dwane last weekend. However, with Eyjafjallajökullour playing havoc to the European airspace, they had a surprise weekend in London instead! Well, as the title says, the show must go on and I continued on with our plans to head to Galway Bay. I drove almost 1000 kms over the two days enjoying the narrow country roads. I headed to the North-West of Ireland, primarily around Connemera National Park and further north to Curruan peninsula and Achill Island.

It's not surprising that this region is known as the wettest county in the country with 2400mm of rain annually in some of the mountain ranges. Well, I was blessed as I had sunshine all weekend. I even managed to get down to a t-shirt, the first time since August! It was a shame to not have fellow travel companions, but the silver lining came with the volcanic enhance sunset over Galway Bay.

Here are some pics from the weekend: Kylemore Abbey was originally a castle built in the 1800's - it has a stunning setting, nestled next to a lake; locals feeding the swans in Galway harbour; on the road with the Twelve Pins in the background; and Furnance Lake - a gorgeous lake in the middle of absolutely no where!

No comments: