June 14, 2007

It's all about eye contact

I would not necessarily call myself an experienced traveller, but I have been travelling enough to know that you never make eye contact with the security guards. Let me explain why...

Exhibit A: As I progressed through security, I placed my bag on the conveyor belt, walked through the x-ray machine, picked up my bags and left. No problems.

Exhibit B: Amy placed her bag on the conveyor belt and walked through the x-ray machine. The conveyor belt stopped and the security guard reviewed the screen infront of her. Upon request Amy opened her pad-locked bag to retrieve the "empty" water bottle she had carried with her. After the bag was cleared through the machine with the empty water bottle, she pad-locked her bag and smiled at the two people standing infront of her. They then swept her away to a side room where she again opened her pad-locked bag and was "patted down" by the friendly security guard. After receiveing clearance for explosives she finally caught up with me. End Exhibit B.

No comments: